When exposed to latex proteins, a latex-sensitive individual may experience minor symptoms, such as hives or nasal congestion. Severe cases may result in anaphylaxis. This is a dangerous reaction that causes a drop in blood pressure; difficulty breathing; swelling of the throat, tongue and nose; and even loss of consciousness. It could be life-threatening if unattended. Emergency medical attention is needed at the first sign of anaphylactic reaction.
If you have had a prior allergic reaction to latex-containing objects, consult your physician. Your physician can confirm the latex allergy, and determine the best strategy for dealing with it. You should avoid contact with all latex products. Prior to seeing your dentist, update your medical history with the dental office. Your dentist his and her staff will take the appropriate precautions for your next dental visit.